Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

If you’re a federal employee in Kansas City dealing with a work-related injury or illness, understanding the OWCP (Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs) claims process is crucial. In this guide, we will answer the most frequently asked questions about CA-1 and CA-2 claims, ensuring you get the support you need.

1. What is the Difference Between a CA-1 and a CA-2 Claim?

Firstly, a CA-1 claim is for traumatic injuries that happen in a single work shift, like a slip, fall, or lifting accident. In contrast, a CA-2 claim covers occupational diseases or illnesses that develop over time due to work conditions, such as repetitive stress injuries or exposure to hazardous substances.

2. How Do I File a CA-1 or CA-2 Claim in Kansas City?

To begin with, filing your claim is straightforward. Visit the ECOMP (Employees’ Compensation Operations & Management Portal) at Create an account, complete the necessary form, and make sure your supervisor finishes their part. Always keep copies of all documents for your records.

3. What Should I Do Immediately After a Work-Related Injury?

Next, report the injury to your supervisor right away and seek medical attention. Request a CA-1 form for traumatic injuries or a CA-2 form for occupational diseases. Notify your supervisor through ECOMP to ensure proper documentation.

4. Can I Choose My Own Doctor for Treatment?

Absolutely. You have the right to select your own doctor for treatment. Choosing a physician familiar with OWCP claims is essential to avoid potential complications. Ensure your doctor provides detailed medical evidence to support your claim.

5. What is Continuation of Pay (COP), and How Do I Qualify?

Additionally, Continuation of Pay (COP) allows you to receive your regular salary for up to 45 days if you’re unable to work due to a traumatic injury. To qualify, you must file your CA-1 form within 30 days of the injury. Note that COP is not available for CA-2 claims (occupational diseases).

6. What is a CA-16 Form, and When Should I Request It?

A CA-16 form authorizes payment for medical treatment for up to 60 days following a traumatic injury. Request this form from your supervisor within seven days of the injury to ensure your medical bills are covered without delay.

7. How Can I Avoid Common Pitfalls When Filing an OWCP Claim?

To avoid common pitfalls, accurately fill out all forms and submit them promptly. Keep thorough records of all communications and documents related to your claim. Seek assistance from knowledgeable professionals, such as your union representative or a specialized OWCP doctor.

8. What If My OWCP Claim is Denied?

If your claim is denied, you have the right to appeal the decision. Carefully review the denial letter, gather additional supporting evidence, and consider consulting with an OWCP expert or attorney. You can request reconsideration or an oral hearing within specific timeframes.

9. How Long Do I Have to Report a Work-Related Injury or Illness?

You have three years to file a CA-1 or CA-2 claim from the date of injury or from when you became aware of the work-related nature of your condition. Reporting the injury or illness as soon as possible is highly recommended to avoid complications.

10. What Role Does My Supervisor Play in the OWCP Claim Process?

Your supervisor must complete their portion of the CA-1 or CA-2 form, including providing necessary information about the injury or illness. They must submit the completed form to OWCP within ten days. Ensure your supervisor’s email address is accurate to avoid delays.

Why This Matters to Kansas City Federal Employees

Understanding the OWCP claims process is vital for federal employees, especially those in postal services, who often face physically demanding jobs. Knowing your rights and the proper procedures can significantly affect the outcome of your claim, ensuring you receive the support and compensation you deserve.

Get Expert Help with OWCP Claims

At Federal Injury Centers of Kansas City, we’re dedicated to helping injured federal employees navigate the complexities of OWCP claims. Our team offers top-notch injury care and free claims assistance, ensuring you get back to work as quickly and smoothly as possible.

For more information, visit our website or contact us today. Let us help you get the support you need to overcome your work-related injury or illness.

  • OWCP claims Kansas City
  • CA-1 and CA-2 claims Kansas City
  • Federal Injury Centers Kansas City
  • OWCP doctor Kansas City
  • Filing OWCP claim in Kansas City
  • Continuation of Pay Kansas City
  • CA-16 form Kansas City
  • Federal employee injury Kansas City
  • OWCP claims assistance Kansas City
  • Kansas City OWCP expert


Written By: Troy Pearson CEO of Restore Muscle and Joint a Federal Injury Center